Wednesday, August 3, 2011

For strawberry ponds, that's why.

As I hurriedly gather practical experience. I distract myself from what I lack in horticulture, schnazzy design skills, and land by fixating on the comfortable--the abstract.  At this point, Permaculture comes to me through its ethics and design principles which will continue to serve as guides and reminders when I have the time, money, experience and means to exercise the practical.

In Permaculture's youth it was described as an, "integrated evolving system of perennial or self perpetuating plant and animal species useful to man."1. This definition is very applied, very agricultural. Which is fine, though I am relieved to live and learn the more holistic & human Permaculture of today.  The Permaculture beyond its first, basic definition is a resilient philosophy and lifestyle. Components of this lifestyle encourage and depend on each other. It is with these lifestyle ethics that I am currently engrossed.

Earlier I used the word fixate, I did so based on a particular frenzied
slobbery chomp upon a few words in David Holmgren's summary of the 12 design principles of Permaculture.
In Principle 3: Obtain a Yield "You can't work on an empty stomach", Holmgren reminds us that designs should, "provide for self-reliance at all levels [including the personal]..."2.
I read 'personal' so I dug a strawberry.

It's easy to get caught up in doom and launch into 'flight or farm' mode (choosing farm of course). It is while fearing the possibilities of eerie and urgent future happenings one [I] wonder, why? Why follow these design principles? Why till and toil? Why preach permaculture? Why boast of a sustainable [& smug?] system? My answer to these questions is conditional. If there isn't happiness, individually and among the community [at all levels] there is no reason to assemble a water catchment system.  If there isn't humor, there is no reason to build a composting toilet. If there isn't one person with enough joy to dig-draw a strawberry then there is no reason to dig a pond.

I am not suggesting hedonism. There is good, healthy pain in Permaculture. I am suggesting that despite dire days,  in a truly sustainable system there is room for fun and a need for non-judgmental kindness and guidance. Because I don't expect communities to respond well to pushes or pretentiousness. And because I can't work on an empty [for lack of a better term] soul.

At Glacial Lakes Permaculture, we are applying Permaculture practically by making use of the previously disappointing, currently soggy pasture by digging a pond. I apply Permaculture, personally, by first digging a strawberry.




Never dig alone

I like Permaculture berry much

Creative energy is not misspent. It is stored to fuel the mind & soul for future digs.

Copyright © 2011 Jacquelyn Marie Schneller.


References
1. Mollison, B., and D. Holmgren. 1978. Permaculture one. Morebank, NSW Australia: Transworld Publications.
2. Holmgren, D. 2002. Permaculture: principles & pathways beyond sustainability: Chelsea Green Pub Co.


1 comment:

  1. Too many abstract thoughts and multi-syllable words for an old wrestling coach.

    ReplyDelete