Saturday, July 16, 2011

Theory and then some

Most of my master's studies have been theoretical.
A year of theory left me starving for practical application.
Cue Glacial Lakes Permaculture.
The work in the dirt has been a physical & meditative blessing,
though I haven't sworn off theory entirely.
I'm amazed at the theoretical connections I stumble upon
during my hours in the sun.

Throughout my farm hours, my mentor shares practical insight about the projects at hand.
I hear about permaculture ethics, principles, and design tricks as they are implemented.

Please take a look at: http://permacultureprinciples.com/, contents inspired by David Holmgren, and note the Ethics & Principles:


Permaculture Ethics:
Care for the Earth
Care for People
Fair Share

Permaculture Principles:
1.Observe & Interact
2.Catch & Store Energy
3.Obtain a Yield
4.Apply self regulation and accept feedback
5.Use and value renewable resources and services
6.Produce no waste
7.Design from patterns to details
8.Integrate rather than segregate
9.Use small and slow solutions
10.Use and value diversity
11.Use edges and value the marginal
12.Creatively use and respond to change

The aforementioned ethics and principles are no doubt respected and present at Glacial Lakes Permaculure.
Over the course of the summer, I'll share my encounters with permaculture in consideration of these ethics and principles, which I have come to exercise as philosophy and design ambitions, respectively.

[Delicious] Fair Share


Copyright © 2011 Jacquelyn Marie Schneller.

No comments:

Post a Comment